Every funding period, NIH announces topics approved for budgets greater than the statutory limit for both Phase I and Phase II SBIR/STTR awards presenting a lucrative opportunity for businesses. That limit for budgets can be found .
That being said, different ICs within the NIH recommend either submitting without being in touch, or to strongly encourage applicants to get in touch with program officials before submitting any award budget that goes over these amounts.
The link at the top of this post points to specific topics. However, there is a set of best practices with approaching, preparing the budget and justification, and submitting to the NIH a budget waiver topic request.
Organizations offering budget waiver topics for the current year funding period include:
- National Cancer Institute (NCI)
- National Center For Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS)
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH)
- National Eye Institute (NEI)
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI)
- National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI)
- National Institute on Aging (NIA)
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)
- National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS)
- National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering (NIBIB)
- National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD)
- National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD)
- National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR)
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK)
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS)
- National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS)
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
- National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities (NIMHD)
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS)
- National Institute of Nursing Research (NINR)
- National Library of Medicine (NLM)
- Division of Program Coordination, Planning, and Strategic Initiatives (DPCPSI), Office of Research Infrastructure Programs (ORIP)
The topics these organizations are funding ask for the most innovative approaches a small business can offer.
Grant Engine can assist with helping you prepare your grant submission. Please be in touch if these topics or others are of interest to you. We can help. Please call (650) 937-9164, or contact us here.